About the Role
In the next 3 years, UrbanCompany wants to be synonymous to home services across Singapore. We are a high growth and a fast-moving organization, and plan to grow multifold year on year. The category manager role will be a key role in achieving this goal, since the person would have P&L responsibilites. The individual should have both the ability to think sharply and also execute at a fast pace. This is not a strategy role; we expect the folks to get hands-on and build the business.
You would be expected to have:
- End-to-end ownership of a selected service category (Think of yourself as the CEO of that category within UrbanCompany Singapore)
- Understanding both the customer and the partner side of the market in detail to come up with the right product-market fit
- Institutionalize a playbook to run the category starting from scratch to the finest detail
- Creating service delivery norms and processes for the category
- Hiring and managing a small team of individuals (1-2) who would help you build the category - both business development and operations
- Work with the product team to create a great user experience for that category
- Work with the marketing team to generate customer requests in that category
- Start-up or Consulting experience of 2-6 years across business development, operations, user growth, sales etc.
- Strong-willed, sharp problem solver and hands on!
- Hustle and get things done attitude. This is not a typical 9-5 job
- Ability to build a business from scratch and have the passion to make a difference in the world we live in
UrbanCompany is a fulfilment led marketplace for home services. We believe we are changing the way the world experiences home services. Whether it is cleaning, beauty treatments, plumbing, carpentry or home painting, our promise to consumers is quality services, at a fixed price and at a time convenient for you.
Launched in November 2014, UrbanCompany has built a network of 20,000+ trained service professionals and served over 3 million customers across major metropolitan cities of India and UAE.
After a successful launch in the UAE (Dubai and Abu Dhabi) market, we are now launching operations in Australia. We provide a bouquet of services to the customer. It includes housekeeping services such as Cleaning, Plumbers, Electricians, Handymen and Pest Control. We also provide personal services like beauty and hair, spa and massage and fitness and yoga training at home. Be it getting a plumbing job done, getting ready for the occasion, getting your house cleaned hassle-free or just a blow dry before you go to the office, we are a sure shot destination for your service needs.
UrbanCompany’s vision is to empower millions of professionals world-wide to deliver services at home like never experienced before. At the heart of this vision is the transformation of a home service professional into a micro-service entrepreneur. Prior to joining UrbanCompany, most of these professionals, be it beauticians, cleaners, carpenters etc. typically earn AUD $1500 - 1800 per month, working for local shops, aggregators or as freelancers. The UrbanCompany platform enables them to become micro-entrepreneurs through 5 key interventions –
- Branding and Customer Access: Working as an individual franchisee of UrbanCompany
- Financing Access: Opening bank accounts, access to loans, insurance etc.
- Tech Led Service Standardization: Standardizing the service - creating SKUs, fixed and transparent pricing, clear service deliverables, defined SOPs, delivery tracking, payment systems, reviews etc., to help remove friction from the service experience
- Training: Soft and Skills Training imparted in person and via the app
- Consumables Supply Chain: Purchasing consumables needed for service delivery in bulk
This helps service professionals become more organized and multiplies their earnings by a factor of 1.5-2x easily.
Scale of Operations
UrbanCompany serves approximately 800,000 customers every month, for a variety of their home service needs. It is present in all major metropolitan cities of India, Dubai and Abu Dhabi. The company is on annual GMV run-rate of approximately AUD 250 million, and a revenue run-rate of approximately AUD 50 million annualized (80%+ contribution margin). The business is growing rapidly, scaling at 3x YoY, supported by a strong balance sheet and a clear path to profitability.
a. Abhiraj Singh Bhal: BCG, IIM Ahmedabad, IIT Kanpur
b. Varun Khaitan: BCG, Qualcomm, IIT Kanpur
c. Raghav Chandra: Twitter, University of California Berkeley
UrbanCompany has raised 6 rounds of venture capital investment from the likes of Tiger Global, SteadView Capital, Accel Partners, Saif Partners, Bessemmer Venture Partners, Vy Capital, Trifecta Capital and the Family office of Mr. Ratan Naval Tata
Indication of Interest
Please forward your CV (and Cover Letter) directly to email@example.com.